Vegan brownies made with rich cacao powder, topped with a creamy sweet potato frosting that tastes everything but ordinary.
Have I caught your attention yet?
I was inspired to make these when I was searching for a healthy frosting that involved using the sweet potatoes that have been eyeing me for the last 2 weeks begging me to use them.
Thus, the Sweet Potato Frosting was born
Here’s everything you’ll need:
- Cacao powder
- Oat flour (or oats blended finely in a blender)
- Truvia (white and brown sugar variety)
- Sweet potato
- Cashew milk
- Vegan butter
- Vanilla extract
- Himalayan sea salt
Aside from the typical baking soda and baking powder found in anyone’s cabinet, this is all you’ll need to get baking!
Since this is a two-part recipe I recommend making the base of the brownies first and making the frosting last.
The frosting will need time to set in the fridge, which will be convenient since the brownies need anywhere from 40-45 minutes to bake (possibly less if you prefer a more gooey consistency.
The key to this recipe is to sift all the dry ingredients.
Yes…all of them! oat flour can be particularly thick and clumpy if not sifted, so to ensure the mix has no clumps throughout it’s best to sift it all.
Which you may as well do if you’re already at it.
Allowing for time to cool is also an important, yet hard thing you must do. It involves the utmost self-control but will pay off.
Alas, let’s get baking!
If you’re looking for more recipe ideas check out my latest posts!
- Healthier Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- Collagen Perfect Bars
- Super Simple Shrimp Tostadas
- Healthy Peanut Butter Banana Blondies
- The Best Ever Gluten Free Lemon Blueberry Scones
- 3/4 + 2 Tbsp oat flour
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 2 Tbsp Truvia brown sugar (or coconut sugar)
- 1/4 cup Truvia baking blend
- 1/2 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 Tbsp baking soda
- 1 cup Nancy’s dairy-free plain oat milk yogurt
- 5 Tbsp vegan butter ( I used I can’t believe its not butter vegan)
- 3 Tbsp vegan chocolate chips ( I used enjoy life chocolate chunks)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line an 8×8 pan and spray with non-stick spray.
- Sift all dry ingredients into a large bowl and set aside
- Melt the vegan butter in the microwave. Then, stir in the melted butter in a medium-sized bowl with the other wet ingredients.
- Add the wet to the dry and mix until there are no clumps in the batter.
- Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 40-45 minutes (less if you prefer a fudgier texture), and let cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Cook the sweet potato until it is mushy
- Add all the ingredients into the blender and blend away. If you prefer a thicker frosting I suggest not adding the cashew milk.
- Store in the fridge while the brownies bake for 40 minutes.
- Enjoy! Also, I recommend pairing this with your favorite peanut butter and ice cream as this is an extremely versatile dessert.
- Serving Size: 1 Large Brownie with frosting
- Calories: 183
- Fat: 7
- Carbohydrates: 27
- Protein: 3
Keywords: Brownies, Vegan, Sweet potato, Healthy frosting, gluten free, dairy free