Yummy Fall-flavored Gluten Free and Vegan Pumpkin Scones that are bursting with flavor!
For The Scones
- 2 cups + 1 TBSP all purpose gluten free flour ( I used King Arthur brand)
- 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar (or light, I wanted a stronger flavor so I used dark)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 TBSP non-dairy milk
- Optional: 1/8-1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 400 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix all of the dry ingredients together in one bowl. Add in the cubed butter to the dry ingredients and cut the butter with a pastry cutter or fork. As you cut the butter the dough very crumbly and should resemble the image below. I find cutting the butter is the quickest when you mix the fork or pastry cutter with the ingredients in a forward and backward motion. Occasionally, coming to the center and continuing the mixing pattern.When done cutting the butter set aside.
- Add all the wet ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl.
- Add the wet to the dry.
- Sprinkle a little flour (1-2 TBSP, I would go on the lighter side as adding to much flour will result in a dry scone) on a solid surface and form a ball with the dough. Kneed the dough ball about 2-3 times and then form it into a large circle that is about 1 inch thick.
- Cut the scones in 8 equal pieces and place on parchment paper and store them in the freezer for 15 minutes. Storing the scones in the freezer will help them keep their shape. When I was making batch after batch trying to get the recipe the way I wanted it I kept finding my scones would spread more than I wanted. Luckily, I picked up this trick from Sally’s Baking Addiction and it did the trick! No more scone spread!
- Bake the scones for 18-20 minutes. While the scones are in the oven, let’s prepare the icing!
- Combine all of the icing ingredients in a small bowl and give it a good mix. I recommend adding the milk slowly as you may want a thinner or thicker texture. For a thicker icing add less milk and for a thinner texture simply add more milk.
- Once the scones appear golden on they will be ready to take out. Let the scones cool for 10-12 minutes and then drizzle the icing over them with a spoon.
I used King Arthur branded all purpose gluten free flour. if you use another brand the results may not be the same as all gluten free all purpose flours are prepared differently.
You can add more pumpkin pie spice if you would like a stronger pumpkin flavor as these are on the mild side. These sones are not very sweet so I recommend always adding the icing in the recipe to them.
- Serving Size: 1 scone with icing
- Calories: 279
- Sugar: 8
- Fat: 11
- Carbohydrates: 44
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 1
Keywords: Scones, pumpkin, gluten free scones, dairy free scones, vegan scones, eggless, breakfast, healthy scones, pumpkin spice